Saturday, March 27, 2010

si dios quiere

well as more and more time passes here, the more I learn about culture and meet more venezuelans. the title of my blog, si dios quiere is one of my favorite slang phrases here. It translates into if god wants. They say it all the time here if a situation is uncertain. If they dont know if they are going somewhere they will say it instead of maybe. Religion is huge down here. With the population being 95 percent Catholic, it is pretty unavoidable. The church always has people in it, its crazy. Also they place churches here right by the main square so that its central to everything. Coming up is holy week here which is supposed to be really cool. They have practicing here for recreations of the passion. There have also been drummers practicing for some kind of procession. Cant wait to see what is all entailed and for my parents to be here for all the activities. My parents come tomorrow. From there, we are headed to los llanos to catch some anacondas and see some amazing wildlife. Spring break is here and could really use the break from school! I cant wait to show my parents around this beautiful city and more importantly eat some really good food!
On another note, registration for next semester is coming up. Very strange looking for classes while in another country. It more difficult because all communication with advisors is through email. Anyways, I am still continuing down the path of public relations. We will see where it will take me. I have been doing alot of thinking about switching into education. I have concluded though that the best thing to do is finish up my undergrad in 3 and a half years and figure it out from there. If all works out this summer i will land this job through americorps doing public relations for habitat for humanity. The nice thing about public relations is that you can work for any company or field you find interesting. If i stick with this i would love to work for a company like habitat. oh well we will see. si dios quiere.
-Alright this post is full of random things but oh well. Its crazy here that it costs more to buy a bottle of water than to fill up your gas tank!
-also if you dont know how to dance salsa you are kinda screwed. They breathe salsa down here and if you cant dance even a little bit, it is very hard to meet girls. All of them want to dance and if you cant, they will easily find someone that can. I actually love dancing salsa. I am not very good, but am slowly getting better. I have come to overall appreciate dancing more while being here. Honestly, why not dance when given the opportunity. It brings people together and is absolutely part of the culture.
-I love the way people greet each here. For guys you say something like epa chamo, which is like hey dude! when you greet girls or women, you give a kiss on the cheek. They are incredibly friendly with anyone they meet. Its such a nice change from the more reserved american style of greeting.
-Well thats it for now. Off to los llanos!!

1 comment:

  1. Dan, this sounds so awesome! How cool to see Holy Week in Venezuela. I hope you are having a great time with your parents! Also, the internship through Americorp, working in public relations for Habitat sounds AMAZING. Who knows maybe that could lead to a job there??? How awesome would that be to work for Habitat. I think I might be a little jealous. :-)
    Take care Dan! You, me and Ryan will have to hang out a bit this summer. :-)
    Jennie

    ReplyDelete